Pilates was introduced in the 1920s as a special movement for the rehabilitation of dancers and athletes after injuries. It was founded by Joseph Pilates, who introduced to the world a program of powerful exercises that helped people recover quickly and painlessly.
Today Pilates is more recognized as a method for an effective body sculpting, improving posture and increasing body density. Because Pilates is not shocking, you can exercise as an adult or even if you’re pregnant. But those who want to lose weight quickly, you should choose a more active sport – with aerobic or power load.
You should not think that everything is so simple. Pilates requires special concentration and some effort.
What is Pilates
Unlike fitness, Pilates is a set of exercises designed to develop muscles and increase body density. Regular exercise corrects posture and improves coordination. Muscles become more elastic, joint mobility and flexibility of the spine increases.
Pilates classes focus on controlling breathing technique and abdominal muscles. The effectiveness of the training is not achieved by the number of exercises performed, but by their quality. Special deep breathing and precise exercises help to strengthen the muscles of the abdomen, pelvis, and back.
It is very important to observe the technique of the exercises, because the result can be achieved only in this way. Pilates is more aimed at strengthening and toning the muscles, but it does not provide strength and aerobic exercise.
The main advantage of Pilates is a balanced muscular load, which reduces the likelihood of injury. Strength and cardio workouts involve targeting specific muscle groups, while Pilates works the muscles evenly.
Classes are held at a relaxed pace, exercises replace each other gradually, becoming more and more complex. And fatigue will be different, not as in fitness – deeper, but not as strong.
It is very important that as a result of exercise go chronic pain in the spine. Due to the strengthening of the muscle corset and greater mobility of the vertebrae there is a stretching of the spine. It is at the expense of this is the correction of the posture and even some increase in growth. Let’s say, a person stops “growing down.
Pilates is also a certain philosophy. A unified positive movement of mind and body. A spiritual balance achieved through physical and moral exertion. Commitment to a goal and achieving it.
Since its inception, Pilates classes have long been available only to a certain circle – athletes, dancers, artists. Even without special knowledge, J. Pilates himself intuitively held the “navel-to-spine” idea, symbolizing the body’s protection. The exercises actively work the transverse abdominal muscles and engage all the deep muscles, making the body tighter, firmer and more beautiful.
Joseph Pilates gave individualised training, with special exercises based on the nature of the injury or the condition of the person. Even after his death, the Pilates Method continued to evolve, incorporating the trainers’ best know-how and the latest medical discoveries.
Today Pilates is available and, in fact, recommended to almost everyone, no matter what their age or condition. Exercise helps you recover quickly from injuries to the joints of the arms and legs and the spine.
Interesting. By the way, Joseph Pilates insisted on eradicating bad habits and striving to come to the realization of the need to restore one’s own health.
What Pilates is good for
The main purpose of exercise is to restore mobility and natural flexibility to the spine and joints, around which beautiful, tight, elongated muscles are formed. As a result, the spine regains its normal position and the spinal discs regain their cushioning properties.
Pilates gives flexibility and freedom of movement. The effect is achieved through regularity and correctness of classes.
The main advantages of Pilates are:
- You get a beautiful flexible body with elastic muscles. At the same time you can avoid pronounced muscle relief and over-pumping.
- Alignment and stabilization of the spine. Pilates classes have been proven to help eliminate back and lower back pain.
- Working out the deep abdominal muscles. Leaves visceral fat, the abdomen becomes flat and elastic.
- Improves posture. Straightening of the spine improves the work of internal organs and eliminates pain in the back.
- Shape of body becomes different. Shape lines become longer and more defined, which is especially noticeable on the most problematic areas of the abdomen and hips. Massiveness and lightness appear.
- Exercise safety – training is recommended during rehabilitation after injuries of joints and spine, as well as for the purpose of prevention.
- Deep breathing increases blood circulation, helps to increase lung volume. Relieves depression, normalizes sleep. Discomfortable feeling of anxiety disappears.
- Increases flexibility and mobility of the joints. Every movement in Pilates is designed to stretch the muscles safely and increase joint mobility.
- Blood pressure is lowered, the cardiovascular system is improved, which is beneficial to the overall condition of the body.
- Improves coordination and balance of the body. After just a few classes, you will feel that the movements are more accurate, and the step is easier.
- Muscle imbalances are eliminated – when exercising, all muscle groups are involved. The body is worked out as a whole, not as a separate area.
- Pilates can be practiced at any age and with any level of fitness. A special advantage – training is available even to those who suffer from diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
- Some of the exercises are suitable for performing during pregnancy. Strong elastic muscles help reduce tension in the lower back area, and proper deep breathing and good stretching will help make labor easier.
Pilates is always a good mood and a boost of energy. A pleasant tiredness and a feeling of satisfaction are noticeable after the workout.
For your body
What are the benefits of Pilates for your body? The body becomes lighter and firmer. Through deep training of the muscles, they become more elastic, which inevitably has an impact on the external contour of the figure. Posture improves: shoulders are straightened, stooped posture disappears, height increases.
Particularly noticeable changes in the abdomen and hips. Distinctive deposits on the external line of the thighs disappear and the visual “weight” disappears. Due to the lengthening of the muscles, the person becomes noticeably taller and slimmer.
Perhaps the main result of doing Pilates for women is to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor. Due to this later it is possible to avoid one of the major problems of age (spontaneous leakage of urine). Another plus in favor of Pilates – no contraindications for classes for pregnant women.
Well, and of course – a sense of satisfaction from your appearance and well-being.
For the body
Without a doubt, Pilates classes bring not some abstract, but quite specific benefits to the body. By straightening and lengthening the spine, internal organs fall into place and begin to function normally. Work of the liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system is improved. Increases in lung volume and, consequently, blood volume.
The most noticeable effect of Pilates on the joints. Through the gradual stretching of muscles and ligaments, joint mobility increases. That is why the technique is recommended for rehabilitation after injuries.
Is it possible to lose weight with Pilates?
It would probably be more correct to say that it is impossible to lose weight quickly with the help of Pilates. Those who want to lose weight in the shortest possible time should take up more active forms of fitness. Pilates affects the body more gently and gradually.
With regular exercise, the body becomes firmer and more elastic and volume is lost. Your body’s lines become clearer, your loose, shapely figure gradually gives way to a more attractive shape.
If we talk specifically about losing weight, then yes – you can lose weight. But observe two conditions – impose restrictions on food and not in a hurry. Again, you can not starve yourself, as the training takes place with enough stress.
Important. In Pilates, the result does not come immediately. But after a few classes you will suddenly, standing in front of the mirror, notice that you have become a little slimmer, a little taller and a little thinner.
How many calories a workout burns
An hour of exercise burns about 250-300 kcal. Cardio or strength training burns about 300-500 kcal, and you can lose up to 750 kcal if you exercise particularly hard.
Figures confirm that the rapid weight loss, doing Pilates, you can not get. But if you follow a certain diet, the chance to lose weight (let’s say – to get fit) is very high.