Important. Everyone who has no contraindications can do step aerobics. To avoid complications and in connection with the high intensity of training, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Who can do step aerobics:
– Women, young and middle-aged men who lead a healthy lifestyle;
– those who suffer from excessive weight;
– During rehabilitation after knee injuries – only at low loads and with the obligatory control of the condition.
And, of course, with personal desire. Training delivers real pleasure, increases tone and promotes well-being.
Contraindications and harms of step aerobics
As with other types of physical activity, there are certain contraindications to step aerobics classes. With specific conditions, training can cause irreparable harm to the body. Step aerobics refers to cardio exercises, during which the body is subjected to really high stress.
The list of contraindications includes:
– cardiovascular disease – arrhythmia, angina may worsen during or after exercise up to a heart attack;
– Traumas and joint diseases – training in the acute period is not recommended, as the course of the disease may worsen and cause complications;
– Kidney and liver pathologies: doing active exercises provokes the movement of stones;
– Varicose veins – with pronounced “swollen” veins, stepping is contraindicated;
– Excessive exercise aggravates chronic diseases, in this case it is better to begin with walking, gradually increasing their duration;
– Pregnancy and the first three months after delivery.
Important. It is incorrect to speak about the harm of step aerobics. It is more correct to talk about the irrational approach of some individuals to their health.
How to train properly: avoiding mistakes
If you have decided to do step aerobics, you should pay attention to some things that can complicate your life and the desire to lose weight.
You can’t do everything at once. You will have to start with the simplest steps until they are fully automatic. If you decide to start by attending a group of prepared ones, you will make a big mistake – you will not keep up with the trainer and the rest of the participants, as a result you will lose interest in the classes.
Mandatory requirement – to put a foot on the platform correctly. The main load during training falls on the Achilles tendon, so if technique is not followed, injuries are possible.
Step-aerobics should engage in metered exercise. Two or three workouts a week for 40-60 minutes are enough. Daily exercise, in connection with high energy intensity, will lead to overwork, a nervous breakdown and even depression. This point is very important, especially for those who want to lose weight quickly.
Important. Listen to the trainer, and everything will work out for you.
Types of step aerobics
Step aerobics can not be considered as just a set of certain steps. Each coach leads groups, coming from the level of training of those involved and their own ideas about the method of teaching fitness.
Conventionally, we can distinguish several types of aerobics:
– Basic Step – training for beginners, mastering the basic movements and steps. It is in the first classes that you should pay a lot of attention to the intensity of the load. If you feel that your body is tired and begins to resist, you should stop in time.
– Advanced Step – the program is designed for those who already have some skills. Includes complex bundles, jumps. Those who never did step-aerobics are not recommended to start with Advanced Step at once – without preparation they simply can not do exercises and will quickly lose interest in training.
– Dance Step – ideal for those who love and know how to dance. It includes elements of choreography, develops plasticity and accuracy of movements. Classes are intense with high energy input, which invariably leads to weight loss. A special advantage is the emotional component.
– Step-Combo includes very complex movements, exercises are designed for good coordination and existing skills. Training is characterized by a high pace, are practically non-stop.
– Step Interval is an excellent solution for those who want to lose weight quickly. Training is carried out with the alternation of active and quiet periods in interval mode.
– Double Step – in order to increase the efficiency the exercises are performed on two platforms. The execution of exercises requires good coordination and extreme attention.
– Power Step implies the inclusion of strength exercises in the complex. Weights are used to increase the efficiency.
Important. Each trainer builds classes on its own program and uses those bundles that it considers necessary. For example, in order to equalize the balance of the load on certain muscle groups, at the end of the workout perform exercises involving the upper part of the body and the spine.
How to choose clothes and shoes for classes?
A special attention when choosing outfit for the class is shoes. It is mandatory to have a thick shock-absorbing sole, which reduces the impact force on the joints and spine. The sole should be non-slip. The best option for step aerobics – sneakers that fit tightly on the foot and well support the arch of the foot. Sneakers and flip-flops are absolutely unsuitable in this case.
When choosing clothes pay attention to the fact that it was convenient and comfortable to work out. Preferably, if it is sewn from “breathable” materials. It is not recommended to wear long, wide pants, as you can simply get tangled in them or step on them, which may lead to injury.
Important. If you have a predisposition to varicose veins, it is worth to wear tight tights that will ensure a steady flow of blood in the lower extremities and avoid stagnation in problem areas.
How to choose a step platform or a step trainer
For independent training at home, you will need to buy a step-platform or, if you are also interested in strength training, a step-trainer. The main requirement for the equipment is a non-slip surface of the platform or pedals, minimizing the risk of your feet slipping. The top should be made of rubberized material.
Equipment can be purchased in sports stores or on online resources. Step-platforms differ in stability, size, coating material, durability. When choosing, special attention should be paid to the fact that the foot fully fits on the platform. If your foot size is 39-41, then it makes sense to choose a board width of 40 cm. Owners of small feet can choose a platform with a width of 35 cm.
The length is standard, 0.8-1.2 meters. The choice in this case depends solely on your preferences.
Another determining parameter is the number of levels, two or three. The minimum height of the step varies between 10-15 cm, with the intensity of training in the future the height can be brought up to 30-35 cm.
Models differ in size and design. The determining factor in this case are the size of the model and functionality. Steppers still represent equipment for complex use and are designed to develop not only the muscles of the legs and hips, but also the muscles of the back, arms, chest.
Important. For classical step-aerobics classes trainers are not suitable.
Can you do it at home?
If you do not have the opportunity to do step aerobics in a group, you can do it at home. You need to free up space for exercising and buy a platform. Keep in mind that even the simplest exercises require a certain freedom of movement.
Ready-made videos can be found on the Internet. When choosing a program for self-study, you should keep in mind the level of your training. There are enough video lessons online for beginners and for the more prepared.
Also, do not neglect the rules of footwear selection. The fact that you are at home, does not exclude the possibility of injury. Home slippers, socks and flip-flops are not suitable for lessons.
Important. Do not use improvised means – boards, bars, iron constructions – instead of a step-platform for training. This is dangerous.