When you hear the funny word “Zumba,” you immediately think of the fiery Latin American dances like rumba, samba, and mambo. But what is it really? The ritual dances of African tribes? A spell in the ancient language of the Taino Indians, the natives of Cuba? Or maybe it is a name of a funny character from some cartoon?
In translation from Spanish, “zumba” is a bell, a rattle, a chime, a crackle, a buzz, a mockery, a joke. And it is this word fitness instructor Alberto Perez decided to call his invented program of workouts to the bright rhythms of Latin American music.
What is Zumba in fitness?
Unlike the South American rumba, which has a history of about 100 years, Zumba is a fairly young “dance”. The main idea of this fitness program is a healthy lifestyle combined with an active workout to the rhythm of dance music.
Zumba is an effective system of muscle toning:
– First, the workout is carried out to the rhythms of popular Latin American music, which guarantees a great mood and a positive attitude.
– Secondly, Zumba is a group exercise, thanks to which energy impulses are transmitted from one participant to another, thereby ensuring more effective results.
– Thirdly, “cocktail” of the most popular fitness movements and elements of hip-hop, tango, as well as rousing African and Latin American dances, helps to engage all muscle groups, which, in turn, ensures rapid burning of calories.
Each workout lasts on average 1 hour. How many times a week to practice? It all depends on your readiness and desire to train – in order to lose weight, one time a week, of course, disastrously little, but to maintain the body in tone – is enough.
Do not forget that in spite of fun and easy atmosphere during the classes, Zumba is still a kind of fitness, and not just fun. Therefore, do not neglect the instructor’s recommendations and watch the correctness of performing any dance elements.
You will understand what Zumba is when you watch this video.
How Zumba appeared
Strangely enough, one of the most popular and sought-after trends in fitness arose completely by accident.
One day, dancer, choreographer and fitness instructor Alberto Perez, coming to workout, discovered that he forgot the music record he usually held his classes to. So as not to cancel the class, he took the tape from his car – the sultry Latin American rhythms sounded in the room, and Alberto masterly “diluted” the usual fitness moves with elements of his favorite dances – reggaeton, salsa and cumbia.
The group members liked such an unusual approach to the class so much that similar training sessions began to be organized more often, giving rise to a qualitatively new method in the fitness industry. Moreover, Alberto’s classes became so popular that Shakira herself invited him to become the choreographer for one of her albums.
In 2001, Zumba became an official brand – the company actively trains licensed instructors around the world.
Anyone can become a Zumba instructor – just take a two-day training course, at the end of which a special certificate is issued.
What is Zumba Good for?
The main concept of Zumba is continuous movement and positive attitude. Perhaps due to this bright fitness dance has a huge number of positive qualities:
– The bright incendiary music itself already brings a sea of positive emotions and gives a great mood.
– Vigorous movements in rhythmic rhythm of Latino music not only do not tire, but even the opposite – energizing and positive.
– If many people find standard fitness training hard – quickly comes the feeling of fatigue and loss of energy, but with Zumba class time flies by almost imperceptibly.
– One of the main advantages of this type of fitness is that Zumba helps to engage all muscle groups. After just a few active workouts you can see a noticeable result – decrease in body size and increase muscle elasticity.
– Dance is a great way to work on your posture, coordination of movements, flexibility, and grace, and Zumba is no exception.
– Unlike special dance classes, Zumba does not cause any difficulties even for beginners – all the moves are simple and understandable, so they can be easily repeated.
– Unquestionable advantage of Zumba is a huge health benefit, both physical and mental. Sultry rhythms not only help distract from the daily grind, but also ensure teamwork, which is undoubtedly a positive impact on your overall health and mood.
– Rhythmic, almost continuous motion beneficial to all organs and body systems. It is proven that during the Zumba dance, blood levels of the hormone endorphin, which is responsible for pleasure, increases; at times accelerates the metabolism, improves blood circulation, provides rapid burning of fat in the “problem” areas.
– For those who really want to try it, but are embarrassed by their inexperience, there is a great opportunity to watch a few video lessons at home, practice, and then come to group classes with an instructor.
– Currently, there are several major trends of this fitness dance, among which anyone will find something they are looking for: people who want to lose weight or just keep in shape, the elderly, children and teenagers, girls who have recently become mothers and continue to breastfeed the baby, etc.
Undoubtedly, Zumba is very beneficial for your figure. By reducing body fat and increasing muscle tone body becomes more graceful, eliminating the possibility of “over-pumping” (in contrast to strength training).
Another obvious advantage of Zumba is the minimum number of contraindications. Even if for some reason you can not do fitness or aerobics, Zumba is likely to suit you.
However, do not take any risks – before you sign up for a workout, be sure to consult a doctor.
Contraindications and disadvantages of zumba
Despite the huge number of pluses, the active dance fitness program Zumba will not suit everyone. Among the contraindications to attending classes are the following:
– Recently undergone surgery, serious injuries.
– Any diseases in the acute stage.
– Diseases of the cardiovascular and nervous system.
– Serious disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
– Pregnancy. In fact, the possibility of engaging in any kind of active leisure during pregnancy should be discussed with your doctor.
– A high degree of obesity, in which case active movement can lead to a heart attack.
Despite the fact that initially Zumba may seem a very easy activity, in fact it is not so simple:
– One of the main disadvantages of this fitness dance is the need to memorize a large number of different movements and the ability to perform them simultaneously (steps, transitions combined with grooves, arm sweeps, etc.).
– For those who are used to serious power, Zumba will seem too simple workout. In order to somehow compensate for this drawback, you can use small dumbbells in the course of the class.
And also, in order to achieve visible and, most importantly, sustainable results, you should attend classes regularly.
Among other things, more easily and quickly achieve successes those who have a sense of rhythm and tact, as well as good coordination of movements.
At the same time, if your hearing and dancing abilities leave much to be desired – do not worry, in the process of training you will get the necessary skills.